Mechanical Engineer – Design
This position serves as the mechanical engineer and designer on a cross-functional product team for labeling, packaging, digital printing, or paper finishing product lines at EMT. This position is responsible for analyzing, developing, and designing products and solutions for mechanical devices, using statics, materials, machine component design, and computer-aided systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the mission, vision, and True North of EMT
- Work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Create innovative conceptual designs.
- Hands-on design and detail of machine parts and assemblies
- Create and execute validation plans to ensure designs robust and meet specifications
- Collaborate with electrical engineering on design requirements
- Collaborate with sales, purchasing, manufacturing, and customer service
- Analyze designs using FEA tools
- Meet design deliverables for quality, cost, and schedule
- Recommend methods, materials, and layouts for on-going process improvement
- Maintain knowledge of technology upgrades, industry trends, and engineering resources to meet or exceed product development or customer requirements
- Implement EMT standards.
- Document new design setups for communication to Customer Service and the customer.
- Document design guides for distribution within Engineering.
- Participate in engineering standards development.
- Process Engineering Change Requests (ECRs) and Engineering Change Orders (ECO’s).
- Participate in cost reductions activities.
- Assist in solving customer issues related to design or product performance.
- Collaborate to develop and improve products and Engineering processes.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested or assigned.
Required Experience, Education, and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
- 3 – 5 years’ experience preferred.
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) experience preferred (machine component design)
- Paper or label converting experience preferred – web handling experience (unwind, rewind, tension control) preferred.3D CAD fluency required (Autodesk Inventor/Vault and/or SolidWorks/PDM)
- In-field start-up experience preferred.
- Applicable experience with printing equipment, digital web handling, processing equipment packaging machinery, or machine tools, or demonstrated ability to acquire knowledge
- Demonstrated project completion experience and ownership
- A combination of education and experience will be considered.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/Key Characteristics:
- Team player, ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong listening skills
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Demonstrated customer focus experience.
- Demonstrated “can do” attitude and continuous improvement mindset
- Ability to provide an honest, concise verbal and written communication
The above is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.